Friday, December 7, 2012

Another semester gone by


Another semester gone by

Three months have just flown by, and all the stress, assignments and hectic schedules will soon be over, at least for a bit of time. Over these past few months my knowledge of several different types of issues of variable diversities cultures. The topic I learn the most about was my own Northern Rural Communities.  There has been so many different issues myself along with my colleagues have discussed that have been brought to my attention.

Some of the things I have learned through the blogging assignment was the lack of funding in education, cost of living up north is far greater than southern communities,  decisions make in southern communities have direct impact on northern communities; however, they may not be informed decisions, many of our professionals move away because the lack of educational facilities (brain drain), social welfare state for individuals, past ways of dealing with crime and violence, past healing methods and many more. I have gain a lot more insight on the issues that northern face on a daily basis. Having the abilities to read others blogs allowed me to gain more knowledge on different types of issues faced around Canada that I was unaware of or lack some knowledge. These give me more tools and knowledge to use in my career, being more aware of issues and the resources available to help.  In addition, the blogs all had references giving me additions tools in case I need to do more research on a specific topic.

From our main class I have learned about the political parties and their effect on communities and environment, many different ideologies, different point of views, history on First Nations communities and many more. The book is a great resources for a lot of the social welfare policies and additional resources that I could use in my future career. It was very interesting learning about the past and how polities use to control individuals and communities.  In addition, I have learned about the welfare state and a few of the pros and cons of welfare.  

I am very happy that each individual did such an amazing job on their blogs and were so insightful and informative giving me additional tools and resources to help later on in my career. In addition, having to write blogs using different ideologies gives me the opportunity to learn more information about these issues and be able to potentially help more clients, and help them find more resources. Also this gives me the ability to look at others point of view, and attempt to put myself in their shoes to attempt to understand their situation and be more empathetic.

Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment